Sunday, December 22, 2013

Holidays in country

During the holiday season we received many cards from people in the US. I answered each one I got and after responding to one lady she sent me a care package with cookies, etc. again I responded to her thanking her for the package and she sent me another package with cookies, etc. This could have gone on quite a while but duty called and I was unable to keep up the correspondence.
   One young lady sent me a Christmas tree!!! It was 3 inches tall. I put it up on the front berm of my foxhole. I spent Christmas Eve  and New Years Eve in that foxhole and really appreciated that little tree. 
   On New Years Eve we were allowed to fire off some flares(we were all issued some red,green, and white ones). Each color meant something different. We were allowed to shoot off green and white but not the red. Red meant that we were under attack and needed help. At midnight we lit up the skies with tracer rounds from our weapons. It was quite a sight !!  Then it was back to work as usual.